I have had multiple inquiries on what is going on with the intersections at Route 5 and Brandywine Road and also Accokeek Rd. so I did a little looking around and have a list of what is being completed. This is straight from the State Highway description:
The project scope
consists of constructing an overpass bridge north of the existing
Brandywine Road intersection, with ramps and service roads
providing access to-and-from MD 5. A roundabout will be constructed
at the intersection with MD 373 (Accokeek Road). Work on the project will also include:
• Drainage and landscaping improvements
• Interchange lighting
• Signing and pavement marking upgrades
• Sidewalks and ramps compliant with the Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA)
• Park and Ride facility.
• Phase 1–Construction of the MD 5 east-side and west-side embankments, northbound and southbound entrance ramps, and median piers.
• Phase 2–Construction of the Brandywine Road bridge deck and MD 5 median.
• Phase 3–Relocating the Brandywine Road and Accokeek ramps onto the newly-built overpass, and roundabout construction
• Phase 4–Construction of the northbound exit ramp to Brandywine Road and southbound MD 5 shoulder
• Phase 5–Construction of a Park and Ride lot
Construction is scheduled to begin in late Spring 2016 and should be
completed by Fall 2019.
So there you have it. Of course dates of completion are always subject to change.
SHA Info: http://apps.roads.maryland.gov/WebProjectLifeCycle/ProjectPhotos.aspx?projectno=PG1755116